According to the CDC, not only are strokes the top cause of long-term, serious disability but also the fifth-highest cause of death in America. However, the quicker you can identify a stroke and get the proper help, the better your chances are of not becoming a part of those statistics.
To that end, your internal medicine Bedford TX stroke specialists (locations also in Benbrook, Lewisville, Boyd and Justin) have put together this short guide to understanding stroke warning signs and prevention. Read on and share with your loved ones – stroke education saves lives.
Signs & Symptoms
The best stroke outcomes come from the person being treated within the first three hours of exhibiting symptoms. That means it is critical for people to know how to identify a stroke as quickly as possible. The most common signs of a stroke include:
- Sudden severe headache with no known origin
- Sudden difficulties with vision – blurriness or double vision
- Sudden inability to understand speech or speak themselves
- Sudden loss of balance, coordination or sudden trouble walking
- Sudden weakness or numbness, especially on one side of the body, in the legs, arms or face
One way to remember the signs of a stroke with the acronym FAST:
- Face Drooping: Ask the person to smile. If their smile droops on one side of their mouth, this is one of the signs they may be having a stroke.
- Arm Weakness: Ask the person to put both their arms up in the air. If one arm starts lowering before the other, this is another sign of a potential stroke.
- Speech Difficulties: Ask the person to repeat a simple 3–4-word sentence. If they slur or have difficulty repeating that sentence or struggle with any speech in general, they may be having a stroke.
- Time: If the person is showing one or more of these signs, act immediately by calling 9-1-1. Medical professionals on the ambulance will already be able to begin techniques that could save that person’s life.
Much of what we can do to prevent a stroke falls under the category of healthy life habits. That includes taking actions such as:
- Getting active
- Achieving and maintaining a healthy weight
- Quitting tobacco use
- Limiting alcohol consumption
- Eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables and low in sodium and saturated fat
- Maintaining low cholesterol and blood pressure
We know that – although this list looks simple – change is hard. Your Family Medical has some of the very best healthcare associates Bedford TX offers (locations also in Benbrook, Lewisville, Boyd and Justin) who will help you create a sustainable plan to integrate change. They can also assess your pre-existing conditions and give you recommendations for how to best manage them with stroke prevention in mind.
Internal Medicine Bedford TX
These topics are not easy to think about and they’re even more difficult to talk with a loved one about. Our stroke specialists can help. Call today to schedule a well-check and let our care team become a part of YOUR care team. We have doctors accepting new patients in all five of our convenient Texas locations.
Call Our Medical Clinics:
Lewisville TX Clinic: 972-436-7531
Bedford TX Clinic: 817-283-6995
Benbrook TX Clinic: 817-727-3331
Boyd TX Clinic: 940-279-7111
Justin TX Clinic: 940-648-1400
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article does not constitute medical advice, nor does reading or accessing this information create a patient-provider relationship. Comments that you post will be shared with all visitors to this page. All comments are not governed by HIPAA and you should not post any private health information.