Let’s be honest, most people make their New Year’s Resolution about being healthy, exercising, losing weight, etc. Which is great! But how many people make real goals that are actually achievable? It’s easy to set a goal, but sometimes we forget what all goes into making that goal a reality. Trust us, we are guilty of this too. We wanted to share some tips for you and your family to consider when planning out your wellness goals for 2024.
Look Back on Last Year
Before jumping into writing down your goals, take a moment to think about how things went health-wise last year. What went well? What was tough? Let’s say you did a good job about eating a balanced diet, but you want to ramp up how often you hit the gym. Understanding where you’ve been, can help you figure out where you want to go in the next year.
Mental Health Matters
Setting health-focused resolutions is not just about our bodies – our minds need some love too! Think about ways to relax and de-stress:
- Take a moment to yourself in the morning or afternoon to meditate.
- Talk to someone like a therapist in person or through telehealth.
- Reduce the screen time on your phone, live in the moment this year.
- Try going to bed earlier and getting more sleep.
- Learn a new hobby to focus on.
Our family doctors in Lewisville, TX can point you in the right direction for mental health support and would love to join you on your health journey in 2024.
Instead of big, vague goals, think about specific and doable ones. For example, instead of just saying ” I want to lose weight,” you could set a goal like “go for a 30-minute walk three times a week.”
- Specific– set numbers and deadlines that are concrete and tangible.
- Measurable– make your goal trackable.
- Achievable– challenging, but possible.
- Relevant– the goal contributes to your overall mission.
- Time-Bound– has a deadline or timeline of milestones.
Following the SMART acronym can help you stay on pace to reach your goals before the next year!
Share your goals with your coworkers, friends, and family. Maybe they can join you on a walk, help with healthy cooking, or just cheer you on from the sideline. We all need encouraging words of affirmation every now and then! Having a team of people in your circle who are important to you makes it more fun when you reach your goals.
Getting healthy in the new year is a great goal that we could all get behind. By looking back, managing your mental health, and setting realistic goals, you’re on your way to feeling better. Your Family Medical is here to support you with advice and resources in the New Year. Call us today to schedule your first appointment. We look forward to caring for you in 2024 and beyond!