While many people consider the holidays the most wonderful time of the year, we know that there are also quite a few folks out there who really dread the holiday season. If you are one of those people, we want you to know that you are not alone. Your Family Medical is very familiar with the mental health challenges surrounding this time of year.
We want to encourage you that – whether it’s grief, stress, chronic conditions flare-ups, pain, or anything in between causing you discomfort – your family doctor is here for you. To that end, we’ve put together a short list of practical ways your care teams can help you get through the holiday blues.
Services We Offer
While we can’t do your cooking, shopping or cleaning for you, there are many other ways we can help you manage your holiday stress.
- We can reassure you that you are worth far more than the casseroles you bake, the presents you buy, the carols you sing, or the traditions you may (or may not) participate in
- We can encourage you to take each moment as it comes and remember to breathe and practice gratitude
- Last but certainly not least, we can offer you medical care that will empower you with the knowledge and skills needed to achieve an optimal state of health and well-being
We can remind you that we’re here for you when you’re struggling with:
- Financial stress: We offer a plethora of FREE patient education videos and FREE blog articles with healthy tips and tricks on our website that you don’t need to worry about meeting a deductible to access.
- Your weight, high blood pressure, diabetes or prediabetes: Our internal medicine Justin TX specialists (also in Bedford, Benbrook, Lewisville & Boyd) can meet with you and help you create a plan that allows you to enjoy your favorite holiday foods without compromising your health.
- Worries about your aging loved-one’s declining health: We can schedule a well-check and create a personalized health plan that’s focused on keeping your loved one healthy, active and independent.
- Wanting to have a healthier lifestyle but unsure how: Our preventative medicine professionals can meet with you in person or virtually to help you create a personalized plan for addressing your specific goals and preventative health needs.
- Feeling sad or stressed more often than you’re feeling happy: We can walk you through a depression or anxiety screening and – if needed – refer you to a trusted mental health professional.
- Managing chronic pain symptoms: We can suggest therapeutic modifications to your holiday plans so that you can still enjoy your favorite traditions.
- COVID-19 related concerns: We offer Telemedicine appointments that allow you to meet directly with our providers virtually from the comfort of your own home. We also offer a resource page full of answers to FAQ’s and additional insights that will help you better understand how to mitigate your risk of contracting COVID-19.
Whether it’s the holiday blues, just a random bad day or something more urgent, there are local and national mental health resources available to help all year long. Many of them come in the form of help lines, which you can access from the safety and comfort of your own home. We have compiled a list of some of those resources so that you know who to call if a need arises.
- Warmline This peer-run listening-line looks to offer a conversation-based intervention service that tries to prevent a crisis from escalating into something that would require 911 or police intervention. (It’s not a HOT line – that’s for emergencies – it’s a WARM line.)
- 2-1-1 Texas A free, local, anonymous social service hotline available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, committed to helping Texas citizens connect with the services they need. This includes help with finding food or housing, childcare, crisis counseling or substance abuse treatment.
- Veteran’s Crisis Chat The crisis chat is a free, anonymous, confidential resource that’s available to any Service member, including members of the National Guard and Reserve, and any Veteran, even if you’re not registered with VA or enrolled in VA health care.
- ADAA Online Peer-to-Peer Anxiety and Depression Support Group An internet-based platform to anonymously connect with others wrestling with depression or anxiety. This service also offers mental health tests, free educational resources, a find-a-therapist database, and a chatroom to post questions or share resources with others who are also struggling.
Healthcare Associates Justin TX
From our family to yours, we want to wish you all the very best as we wrap up 2020. Words can’t express enough how much we appreciate being on your care team. If you or a loved one is looking for help accessing quality care, we have doctors accepting new patients in all five of our Texas locations, including Lewisville, Benbrook, Bedford, Boyd and Justin. We would be honored to offer them the gift of health this holiday season and beyond!
Call Our Medical Clinics:
- Benbrook TX Clinic: 817-727-3331
- Bedford TX Clinic: 817-283-6995
- Lewisville TX Clinic: 972-436-7531
- Boyd TX Clinic: 940-279-7111
- Justin TX Clinic: 940-648-1400
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article does not constitute medical advice, nor does reading or accessing this information create a patient-provider relationship. Comments that you post will be shared with all visitors to this page. All comments are not governed by HIPAA and you should not post any private health information.