School physicals are something all of our children dread doing. Parents can also admit that it’s just one more thing they have to mark off of their to-do list before the new school year begins. But have you ever stopped to think about how important physicals are and all the benefits they can provide to your child? Let’s break down the ABCs of physicals and why they are so critical.
Awareness of Underlying Conditions
A physical is a great time to bring to light any underlying conditions that your child may have or be currently experiencing. It is essentially your child’s annual check-up. It is important to speak to your child before their physical and take the time to ask them if they have anything they are worried about or would like to discuss with their doctor. You as a parent can always make assumptions, but don’t forget to give your child the chance to use their own voice in these situations as well.
Benefits of School Physicals
These examinations are not just a formality; they serve multiple crucial functions. It’s an opportunity for medical professionals, such as the family medical physicians in Lewisville (clinics also located in Bedford & Benbrook TX) to catch any subtle changes or potential issues that might go unnoticed in daily life. Here are the top benefits of school physicals:
- Staying up to date on shots and immunizations– Your child’s school will more than likely provide you with a list of shots or required immunizations they will need for the upcoming school year. A physical is the perfect time to take care of these needs.
- Ensure the ability to participate in extracurricular activities– While at the physical, your doctor will give an overall assessment and address any concerns they have with your child being able to participate in any physical activities at school.
- Addressing any visible issues- You get the privilege of seeing your child every day. You may not notice the same things a doctor could potentially see when examining them.
- Growth- Physicals are a good time to ensure that your child is growing at a healthy rate. Your doctor may suggest things to incorporate in their daily routine to make sure they are on the right track.
- Early detection- Believe it or not, school physicals can detect early diseases or deficiencies. This may be one of the more important reasons to take a physical seriously.
- Mental health– Your child’s mental health plays a role in how they perform in school both physically and mentally.
While at the physical, you can expect a full comprehensive exam of your child’s:
- Internal health
- Muscular strength
- Balance and reflexes
- Ear, nose, and throat
You can also expect a conversation on your child’s healthy habits including exercise and eating.
Doctors for Children in Lewisville TX
Your Family Medical is happy to welcome children of all ages to our practice. If your child is in need of a school physical, do not hesitate to make an appointment today. We look forward to caring for you and your family! We have clinic locations in Lewisville, Bedford & Benbrook TX. Check out our list of clinic locations right here.