While it is true that sharing is caring, we certainly don’t want that sentiment to include germs. However, it can be tricky to avoid getting sick during the busy, stressful and crowded holiday season. That’s why our disease prevention Lewisville TX team (locations also in Bedford, Benbrook and Boyd) put together a few quick tips to help folks avoid illness during the holidays. Read on and be well!
Common Holiday Illnesses
Although the types of illnesses that everyone is susceptible to varies, there are some that are more common than others. That is especially important to remember as we head into the holiday season where family gatherings and parties become more prevalent. Some of the more common holiday illness offenders include:
- Common Cold
- Sore throat
- Ear infection
Ways to Protect Yourself
Most of our advice for avoiding illness may sound like simple, common-sense recommendations. However, the truth is that we often underestimate the impact of these kinds of practices. Proper handwashing alone can reduce the chances of contracting a gastrointestinal illness by 31% and respiratory illness by 21%. With that in mind, here are our top six tips for protecting yourself during the holidays:
- Only consume alcohol and sweets in moderation
- Eat a well-balanced diet
- Wash your hands & practice other forms of good general hygiene
- Get a flu shot
- Stay home if you’re not feeling well
- Take a Vitamin D supplement
How Your Family Doctor Can Help
If you haven’t had a wellness exam in a while, we encourage you to schedule one before the holidays. If you don’t have a primary care physician, Your Family Medical has physicians at our Lewisville pain and wellness clinic (locations also in Benbrook, Bedford and Boyd) who are currently taking on new patients.
At your well check, you and your doctor can discuss more specific ways for you to be proactive about avoiding illnesses. He or she can also order specific vaccines and tests as needed to determine if (and what) supplements may be helpful for you to start taking as a way of boosting your immune system. Be sure to bring with you a list of your current medications as well as any health questions or concerns you may have.
Unfortunately, at this time we are still seeing a fair amount of Covid cases occurring on a regular basis. It’s important to remember to be mindful of this as we plan our holiday get-togethers with family and friends. Some Covid-specific tips we recommend for keeping everyone safe and healthy include:
- Offer guests the option to wear masks as they deem appropriate, especially for those who have not yet been vaccinated.
- Include a video chat option for those who are far away or who prefer not to gather in person.
- Encourage guests to stay home if they are experiencing any symptoms.
- For guests coming in from out of town, encourage them to consider getting tested prior to traveling for their own (and others’) safety. The U.S. Department of Health & Human Safety offers this resource for finding a free Covid testing site anywhere in the nation.
- Create sanitizing stations in convenient locations throughout your home for friends and family to use as needed.
For more information and prevention tips, visit our resource page specifically dedicated to Covid-19.
Disease Prevention Lewisville TX
At Your Family Medical, we consider you part of our family. As such, we want to wish you much health and happiness throughout this holiday season and as we enter a new year. We consider it a privilege to treat you, whether it be a simple well-check, discussing disease prevention strategies or walking alongside you on your journey with chronic illness (and everything in between). We look forward to treating you with care, respect and excellence in the new year and beyond!