Disease Prevention in Benbrook TX (clinics also in Bedford & Lewisville TX)
Type 2 diabetes – formerly known as Adult-Onset Diabetes – affects approximately 1 in 10 Americans. It’s a chronic condition that interferes with the body’s production of insulin. In contrast with type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetics can still produce insulin but may produce less than needed or have an inconsistent response to it.
If you or someone you love has been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, this article will offer you a basic overview of the core components of this condition.
Signs & Symptoms
The symptoms of type 2 diabetes don’t always appear right away or all at once so it’s often hard to initially recognize. Signs to look out for include:
- Frequent urination
- Unintended weight loss
- Blurred vision
- Frequent infections
- Increased hunger and thirst
- Dry mouth
- Itchy skin
Unlike type 1 diabetes, type 2 can be preventable if you know the risk factors. They most commonly involve:
- Weight: Being overweight, obese or carrying excess weight around the abdominal area causes increased risk. This includes women with a waist circumference of over 35” and men with a waist circumference of over 40”.
- Age: This statistic is slowly changing due to the increase in childhood obesity, however, anyone over the age of 45 is at an increased risk.
- Gestational Diabetes: Contracting diabetes during pregnancy and/or giving birth to a baby greater than 9 pounds can increase risk.
- Family history
- Ethnicity: People who are Black, Hispanic, American Indian and Asian American are at increased risk for type 2 diabetes. The reason for this is unknown currently.
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
If you notice the presence of 3 or more of these risk factors, it would be a good idea to let your doctor know and ask if he or she feels that a diabetes test may be in order. Your Family Medical offers disease prevention in Benbrook TX (clinics also located in Bedford & Lewisville, TX)
Although there are several types of tests available for diagnosing type 2 diabetes, the most common is a blood test called the A1C Test. This test will measure your average blood sugar levels over the course of 2-3 months.
Other tests include:
- Fasting Blood Sugar Test: A blood sample is taken after an overnight fast.
- Random Blood Sugar Test: This measures blood sugar in normal, non-fasting conditions.
- Glucose Tolerance Test: Blood sugar is measured twice, once after an overnight fast and then again after drinking a sugary drink.
Type 2 Diabetes Treatments
There are several easily accessible treatment methods for type 2 diabetes. Your doctor will create a custom treatment plan specific to your needs that may include one or a combination of options—Your Family Medical has the best general practitioners Benbrook TX has to offer (clinics also in Bedford & Lewisville TX). Some of the more common treatments are:
- Following a balanced, high-fiber diet
- Get active (30 minutes daily)
- Weight loss
General Practitioners Benbrook TX – Keeping Your Family Well
Whether you’ve been living with type 2 diabetes for years or you’re concerned you may need to get tested, Your Family Medical has professionals who can help. We are dedicated to keeping your family well. Give us a call today to schedule your first visit! Our family medical clinics in Benbrook, Bedford and Lewisville, TX are all accepting new patients.